Friday, June 13, 2008

Our Angel

It was very hard for me to miss Granny's funeral, but I find solace in knowing that I got to tell her good-bye on the phone, and knowing the kind of person she was, she would have understood.
But I still needed my own little moment for her the day of the services. While walking through the Sacred Grove (Religious Historical Site) in New York, I decided that I wanted to take a leaf and float it down the creek just outside the grove. While doing that I was listening (on my ipod)to: "Each Life That Touches Ours For Good," a beautiful song...and fit the moment. It may sound corney, but I felt close to Granny, even though it was only about 5 minutes that we stopped...it meant a lot to me to do that.
I cherish the things I have that remind me of you. I have a pottery bowl that you got on one of your trips abrod, and it reminds me of your exceptance of other people and cultures. I have a quilt that you and I made together when I came to stay with you and Gramps for the summer, and it reminds me of all the many other quilts you made and your talent for doing it. I also have a small statue of Christ, and it reminds me of all the many Christ-like qualities you had mastered that I am still striving to be. It also reminds me how often you would share your testimony of the gospel, and how I need to be better at that. Lastly I have baby quilt you made that reminds me of your love for your family.
I have always described her as "An Angel on Earth" because, she was. Her always looking for the good in people, never speaking ill of anyone, un-matched patience, abundance of church service and charity, her strong testimony of the gospel, and never-ending love...can you describe an Angel another way?
I miss her, and will continue to strive towards the amazing example that she set for us all! LOVE YOU GRANNY!

4 comments:

Gramma Stewie said...

You made me cry! Your tribute to Grandma is BEAUTIFUL! I just happened onto it today...I know Granny appreciated your 'private tribute' to her in the Sacred Grove! And with hearing that song (which is her to the tee...she did touch our lives for good) with the tangile leaf floating down the creek to symbolize the sadness we feel of her departure (floating away)....BEAUTIFUL! That was a creative way to also "say good-bye" and show your respect...being so far away. It was a hard decision for you, but the right one. Granny probably loved being a part of the Sacred Grove the day of her funeral too.

I love the picture of the 'things that remind you of G'ma' around your house....that is neat.

It is amazing to think that the legacy a person left is summarized by by "an angel" or for me I have always referred to her (even in life) as 'the closest thing I to a saint that I have ever known'. She had a pure and kind heart, didn't she?

We have big shoes to fill, don't we? But everything is line upon line, right? If we all keep moving forward, we will get there eventually (I hope). Sweet thoughts, Tear-Bear.

David Stewart said...

Thanks Tara for the beautiful tribute to mom.

Love
Dad

Vilate Thacker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vilate Thacker said...

I hope you don't mind that I post here. I didn't know Vilate, but I found this blog as I was googling my name. My name is Vilate also. What a fantastic name, to have such a great legacy -as I can see from the blog. I was touched as I read and had a desire to try harder to live up to my name. It is a beautiful tribute to her.